By Andy Goodell
Communications Manager, Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing
Hundreds of family members, friends, and fellow students celebrated the achievements of ABSN, DNP and MSN students during the 2018 Winter Awards at Glenn Memorial Auditorium.
These students joined the more than 7,600 Emory nursing alumni worldwide who proudly call themselves Emory School of Nursing graduates and are making meaningful differences in the lives of individuals throughout the world.
Student speaker, Rachel Branton, urged students to remain courageous and confident in their abilities to serve others.
“We have just graduated from the number three nursing graduate program in the nation. The sky is the limit,” said Branton.
DNP student speaker, James McLeod, noted that he was proud to be among such talented nurses at the MSN/DNP Winter Awards.
“Tonight is a celebration of hard work, new friendships, and marks a milestone for us at various stages of our careers,” said McLeod.
ABSN class speaker, Kiah Ford, said some students would go on to work in their first bedside jobs and others will continue on with masters programs. But regardless of where they end up, Ford knows they will be successful.
“All of our backgrounds have come together to form an amazingly talented group of nurses,” said Ford.
Much like Ford, student speaker, Jamie Quinlan, said she has very high hopes for the future of her cohort.
“I cannot wait to see the remarkable things that each of my classmates will accomplish in the future,” said Quinlan.
2018 WINTER AWARDS RECIPIENTS:
- Award of Excellence – Kimberley Spence-Jensen
- Excellence in Collaboration – Tomi Ojeniyi
- Excellence in Social Responsibility – John Stanton
- Excellence in Innovation – Danielle Bulinski
- Excellence in Leadership – Kara Slavoski
MSN Silver Bowl – Tara Noorani
DNP Silver Bowl – Sharon Vanairsdale
MSN Heart of the Students Award – Dr. Phyllis Wright
- Award of Excellence – Kiah Ford
- Excellence in Collaboration – Casey Detwiler
- Excellence in Social Responsibility – De’Von Cross
- Excellence in Innovation – Allie Schlitz
- Excellence in Leadership – Katherine Tipton
ABSN Silver Bowl – Case Nafziger
ABSN Heart of the Students Award – Dr. Ann Horigan